Our Avocado Face Masks are reusable because they are made from 100% organic cotton — so they are machine-washable. Please wash before use. Even so, it's essential to follow proper cleaning and handling practices. Here's how.
Always remove your mask from behind and place in a closed bin. Wash in warm water with Clorox Disinfecting Bleach. Tumble dry or air dry — and be sure the mask has dried completely before using. Be sure to follow these steps from the CDC to safely handle and disinfect your mask and any laundry that has been exposed to people with an illness or suspected of having Covid-19, which will minimize the possibility of dispersing virus droplets into the air.
- Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty laundry/face masks from an ill person and then discard after each use. If using reusable gloves, those gloves should be dedicated for cleaning and disinfection of surfaces for Covid-19 and should not be used for other household purposes. Clean hands for 20 seconds immediately after gloves are removed.
- If no gloves are used when handling dirty face masks, be sure to wash hands for at least 20 seconds afterwards.
- If possible, do not shake dirty laundry. This will minimize the possibility of dispersing virus through the air.
- Launder face masks as appropriate in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely. Dirty laundry from an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.
- Clean and disinfect clothes hampers according to guidance above for surfaces. If possible, consider placing a bag liner that is either disposable (can be thrown away) or can be laundered.